The UFO has established this website to provide the Ohlone College Faculty access to our contract, our newsletters and our Executive Committee.
Our faculty established the UFO in 1979 as an independent union to protect your employment rights as well as engage in collective bargaining pursuant to the California Public Employees Act of 1976. The UFO and the Ohlone College Board of Trustees, through our respective negotiators, collectively bargain any and all issues relating to working conditions and conditions of employment.
UFO Tentative Agreement
After several months of negotiations, The UFO has finally reached a tentative agreement (TA) with the District. Wayne Yuen, our UFO President, sent you the TA in an earlier email. Some highlights of the TA are:
- The District will cover the cost of dental, vision, and life insurance for full-time faculty (effective October 1, 2013 if approved).
- The District will apply 1.57% across-the-board salary increase to full-time and part-time salary schedules (effective August 1, 2013 if approved).
- Placement of new part-timers on the salary schedule will incorporate prior experience (effective Spring 2014 if approved).
- Beginning in Spring 2014, movement on the part-time salary schedule will happen at the beginning of each Spring semester as long as the part-time faculty member had any amount of load in the previous calendar year.
- To reflect existing practice, language added for Jury Duty leave & sick-leave for part-time faculty.
- Bereavement leave expanded for part-time faculty and added for part-time faculty.
As a final note, both Rob Smedfjeld and Carol Lawton deserve credit for their hard work as part of the Negotiations Team. If you see either of them around campus, please thank them!